Poetry Challenge #3: Ghazal

The ghazal (Arabic/Persian/Urdu: غزل) is a poetic form with rhyming couplets and a refrain, each line sharing the same meter. A ghazal may be understood as a poetic expression of both the pain of loss or separation and the beauty of love in spite of that pain.

This was quite a challenge but I really enjoyed writing these two. The first I call:


My light/Your light/Our light

I hold a light within my heart,
it is meant to be shared.

You stand cold and alone, adrift,
warm yourself; my light's bared.

Fear is killer, risk is inherint,
passion dies when love not dared.

My light in you shall grow; heartfire,
flames burn not, be not scared.

Lives changed; temporal to eternal,
honest intentions declared.

This light, kept in keeping for you,
now the path be prepared.

Let life look upon us kindly,
with our lights ever paired.

And for the second, it is a little more of a downer, but I think it is good. It is called:

I spared me

I look at you with the red-rimmed eyes,
and know I did not spare you pain, I spared me.

Know that in years much inside us dies,
I will not give more of my lies, I spared me.

You ask of the decision I made,
you will ask is this your fault, know: I spared me,

Crying, you will call me a coward,
honestly, you speak the truth, I spared me.

Heartache abounds, but still we endure,
except me, I didn't have the strength, I spared me.

Comments